Sunday, May 2, 2010

Family (?)

If certain people come across this blog, it is bound to create a stir. But, here's the thing about that..

..I don't care. I write to vent my frustrations, don't read it if you don't like it.

I've come to realize that no matter how much you promise to "stand by family, thick and thin", that there are circumstances where that becomes such a blatant lie. Maybe it becomes a lie on your part, maybe on the other member's part, or maybe a combination of both. What I do know, is that within the last 10 months or so, things have become so topsy-turvy with one side of my family, that I refuse to believe that I even know them anymore.

How are you going to favor someone who isn't "blood family" we'll call them, over someone who is? Yeah, she was his wife, but I am his SON, his OWN flesh and blood, and you refuse to let me talk or even ASK me what's going on. You really think that the grandson/nephew/what have you that you've watched grow from a baby to a grown man, would distance himself at such a great length for no reason? Obviously, you don't know me at all, and I don't know you, either.

Cliff notes thus far, for those who don't know the deal:
My father died last year, left behind me, my brother and his wife. His wife creates confusion between us, says some not-so-nice things, my brother leaves for college and I don't visit her because of what she has said/done. My family chooses her side (again, over their own flesh and blood), never asks me why I don't visit or what is wrong. I get the accurate (as far as I can tell, and i'm no idiot) impression that that side of the family (save for a few wonderful cousins of mine <3) no longer favors me, or wants anything to do with me.

I caution any of the members of the family who may have come across this, you're about to hear the truth from me, it may hurt, but I hope maybe you'll understand a few things, because you're not gonna listen to me anyway, I feel.

I never went out and visited any of you, or took vacation with dad or his wife to see you, because my brother and I never even knew about them. Never were invited, nothing. He chose to exclude us from most things in his life, the only times we ever got a call from him were if grandpa and grandma were coming up to visit. Our birthdays? We called. Christmas? Thanksgiving? ANY other holidays? WE CALLED.

Hell, even just to say hello, we had to call him, he never called us out of the blue to see how we were. Have you ever forgotten your son's birthday before? Has your father ever forgotten your birthday? Do you know how that feels? Because I do.

I'm tired of being the quiet one who never stands up and says what is on his mind, that part of me is gone, like it or not, I, in my current "stand up for myself" state, am here to stay.

/rant.

1 comment:

  1. Totally feel you on the dad issues. At least you can stand up for yourself. That's more than I've managed to do so far.

    ReplyDelete